This is a perfectly routine cataract case and it goes beautifully. But then, at the end of the case with the IOL nicely positioned in the capsular bag, you notice a line on the posterior capsule. What should you do? Leave it alone? Try to fix it?
It can be a tough call, depending on the cause of the line. It could be:
- damage to the IOL from the inserter
- a fold in the posterior capsule (from loose zonules and capsular bag laxity)
- a small break in the posterior capsule
- residual strand of cortex
- lint or other retained foreign body
The reveal is at 4:45 in case you’re too busy to watch a 5 min surgery.
What would you do? Click below to watch the video to see what I did: